Tuesday, February 15, 2011

going backwards seems like a great place to start



My place near the Murray River
 My family and I have lived on Curlwaa Island  for three years,  I was reluctant to move here  at my last address I had a well used and love  comfortable studio. I have to confess that it was a converted Chook House, that had a high roof, cement floor, two windows that showed a view of the garage. The best bit was the refrigerated air conditioner that made working in the heat of summer a real pleasure. 
 I don't have a studio at Curlwaa but I do have the dried creek bed or billabong or the anabranch. I have always been impressed with this little strip of bush land that hugs the boundary of our place.
This is what conservationists call a wildlife corridor and yes we have plenty of wildlife, a plethora of birds, the odd snake or two, lizards of numerous of varieties, foxes,rabbits, feral cats,and as Curlwaa is famous for its ants, we have them by the millions. 


This special place on our property I will refer to as the anabranch  until recently had been dry as we have been in drought for many years (12 to 15 years)
Last week (4-2-2011) we had 108 mm of rain in 2 hours, this resulted in the anabranch holding water and the wildlife has increased to 3 species of frogs and a swam of staving mosquitoes.


My plan is to spend time camping in the anabranch by myself. This time will allow me to become very familiar with my surroundings and I intend to gather both physical objects and record my personal response.  The gathering of raw data and resulting art work will be supported by academic research and an exegeses that I will write over the two years.   
I will construct a set of guidelines that will allow me to operate, be comfortable and safe in the bush environment.        


Next entry will include photos and a detailed map
   

No comments:

Post a Comment